Sunday, February 14, 2010

Eileen & Ashley

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don’t have that problem.” ~Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985.
I remember the first time I met Eileen. She couldn’t have been more than four or five years old. She was tiny, pale and shy. She looked like a little street waif from a Dickens’s tale. Today I look at her and it doesn’t seem like it’s been that long ago that I first met her. It can’t be possible can it? I mean, if it is, that means that she has grown up. And as a grown up, she will leave at the end of the month to join the United States Marine Corps.
Today I had the pleasure of taking some last pre-Marine photos of Eileen, along with her best friend, Ashley. While the tone of the shoot was fun, upbeat, cheery and happy, there was a sad undertone for these best friends. They warned me that if things got too sentimental that they both would cry. It was clear that there would be time for crying later. So the theme I focused on was of friendship, next steps, and new adventures.
Thank you Ashley for the riveting guitar solos, you rocked the joint, lol!! Eileen, good luck to you, we will miss you until you are safely home again!!